Welcome to the Forums
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

A Warzone for Dummies Guide for Beginners

I've restarted the Warzone: Armageddon Guide for Beginners to remove all the non-guide stuff in the first three pages of the other thread. Please keep this one as an actual help guide for players. The newer people deserve a little help and the more that they do well, the more people will play the game, (I love fresh bodies to kill.)

Machiavelli
    Last edited by Machiavelli; 07-09-2012 at 07:54 PM.

Base Income:

Ok folks, it seems that some of you are rather lacking in the base income department. I realize that you are probably in a hurry to level up, that's fine if you don't care about having money to purchase military units, land, or being a really cheap sanction, (I love those last players), but realize, YOU ARE GOING TO GET PUMMELED.

Now, for those of you who do care about your base, here are some helpful hints...

Every base structure that makes money has it's minimum income that comes with the initial purchase. Then, you have three more upgrades you can make after that. The initial upgrade increases that base's income by a factor of 1.6, (i.e. if the base income is initially $1,000,000, then the first upgrade will increase it to $1,600,000), and that initial upgrade dollar amount is the increase from there on out, (it does NOT increase by a multiplier of 1.6 from there on out, it increases by that first dollar amount from there on.)

Example: Military Saloon and Sandals Resort (makes $1,000,000 per hour with NO stars)
    1 star = $1.6 million/hour
    2 star = $2.2 million/hour
    3 star = $2.8 million/hour, (and complimentary cocktails at the Sunset Bar)

You can use that simple formula for figuring out how much any income base structure tops out at. The only difference is the amount per hour, (as they collect anywhere from 45 minutes to 24 hours depending on the structure and what kind of player you are).

Knowing that above formula, you need to then decide how often you are going to log on and collect. Can you collect every 45 minutes, (IT Center), or only every four to eight hours?

Then with that in mind, how much do you wish to earn per day? How expensive do you want to make yourself to sanction?

Below are some of the top tiered base structures for income that vary on collection times. My favorites are the IT Center, (lowest initial price for the greatest return, but you have to log on every 45 minutes), and the Nuclear Power Plant, (collect every 1.5 hours, so you get more time to relax from the game AND it actually makes more per hour than the IT Center when topped out), the NASA Facility gives you even more time off, (4.5 hours), and makes less per hour, but it frees you from the game too.

Now, I set my player up as a money earner, so I earn income faster than the other types, but it will give you a general idea of what's good for the times.

IT Center: Initial income is $1,500,000, 1 star - $2,400,000 2 star-$3,300,000 3 star-$4,200,000
    (topped out, it averages $5,586,000 per hour income at 45 minute collection times per structure)
    **This base structure is the cheapest to build with the second highest income per hour of all of them, BUT remember, it's only good if you can log in every 45 minutes or so...

Science Center: Initial income is $3,000,000, 1 star - $4,800,000 2 star-$6,600,000 3 star-$8,400,000
    (topped out, it averages $2,800,000 per hour income at 3 hour collection times per structure)

Nuclear Power Plant: Initial income is $3,300,000, 1 star - $5,280,000 2 star-$7,260,000 3 star-$9,240,000
    (topped out, it averages $6,098,400 per hour income at 1.5 hour collection times per structure)
    **this is the highest income per hour base structure out there.

Nasa Facility: Initial income is $6,000,000, 1 star - $9,600,000 2 star-$13,200,000 3 star-$16,800,000
    (topped out, it averages $3,733,333 per hour income at 4.5 hour collection times per structure)

Pentagon: Initial income is $9,000,000, 1 star - $14,400,000 2 star-$19,800,000 3 star-$25,200,000
    (topped out, it averages $2,800,000 per hour income at 9 hour collection times per structure)

Hope this tidbit helps out for income, now for how to get those land purchases...

You can purchase land four ways, (Money, Gold, Honor Points, and Oil). All of them are initially easy to purchase, but they get progressively more expensive. So thinking about this and how things change as you level up, I'd suggest the following.

Get all the cheapies out of the way asap. Then, once you have a good initial amount of land and good bases, remember this very simple fact. As you level up, you get more honor points per battle. So don't worry about the land purchases with Honor Points till your level 200 or more for anything over 100K Honor Point Cost. It just takes too much time to collect them early due to the poor payout per battle, (unless you've got 300 Supplies).
    Instead, concentrate on that Daily Bonus, collect that free gold for land purchases and get those out of the way.
    Build Oil Refineries and max them out ASAP. Why? Easy, maxed out on upgrades, an Oil Refinery nets you 56,000 bbl of oil every 1.5 hours. If you have five maxed out, that's 280,000 bbl of oil every 1.5 hours. It's easy to collect if you're on often and earn those final pieces of land. And then if you get all the oil purchased land units out of the way, you can convert all but one to INCOME EARNERS! You don't have to have them as oil refineries any more and it frees up land for income to purchase either more land or units, (or if you're like me, SANCTIONS)...

That's all for now, hope this helps a little for you inexperienced players. Ask away if you have anything else you have questions about.

Machiavelli
    Last edited by Machiavelli; 07-09-2012 at 12:14 PM.

Next helpful hint... STOP USING GOLD FOR DARNED MILITARY UNITS. (well, at least until your land purchases are done and you have your skill points balanced out well...)

As I said above, use that daily bonus of three gold for land purchases and SKILL POINTS. It makes a huge difference in the long run if you add those extra skill points into your stats. Every five days you can get five more skill points, (costs 15 gold to get 5 skill points, you get 3 gold/day bonus). Don't waste that gold on units till later when you have all the land and skill points you need, (or never STOP adding skill points).

Get spare military units and equipment with honor points and oil! Yes, those fancy gold purchased, kick ass units look good and have one heck of a wallop, but three or four of them don't equal out to 40-60 extra attack or defense points spread out over your whole military.

p.s. if you are purchasing gold, wait to make big purchases till you are into the European Campaign. The bonus mission, "The Carpathian Castle" earns you a BAT. That little fuzzy winged creature gets you a bonus of 50% extra gold ONE time when you next buy it, (i.e. if you buy $10 worth of gold, (normally 70 gold for ten bucks), now you get 105 gold instead). So save your money till you can get that little fuzzy critter and it's bonus.

Wish it were a permanent boost... it would increase gold sales tremendously.
    Last edited by Machiavelli; 07-09-2012 at 10:48 AM.

1) If I am attacked by a lower level player, why are my unit quantities capped to their level?

Well, if you are attacked by a lower player, or you attack them, capping your quantities to their levels evens the field. Generally, if you are of a higher level, you WILL have the advantage though in two major ways.

A) Skill points. You've had time to earn many more skill points, (a person 100 levels above you has an extra 500 skill points that you don't have, and if they are used wisely, they will make a big difference. I've had players 100 levels higher than me attack and lose, generally because of how my skill points are allocated, but also because they made the mistake of selling off their lower tiered units for cash... BIG mistake. Keep those units, don't sell them off. They come in especially handy during sanction battles. Which leads to point 2, (B).

B) As a higher level player, you've got access to ALL the units in the lower level player's tier. As they may be at any point in that tier, they often do NOT have access to all those types of units yet, much less the money to even purchase them. So even then, the odds favor you in the battle unless they are almost at a level where they are about to enter a new mission tier.

2) Was this always the case or am I right in thinking that it changed recently?

IT HAS ALWAYS BEEN THIS WAY. Personally I think it's a great idea/strategy as it prevents some bullying and makes you think and plan your army out. But then, I always over-think my strategies, (and even then I am often surprised with losses due to mistakes on my part or outright stupidity).

Machiavelli

p.s. from what I've gleaned of the admin posts, there may be changes to your third question about the 20 percent bonus. Then of course, there may not be changes. As ever, they are cryptic. But, you've got to admit, that keeps a little mystery in the game, (which is why I always loved the 20% boost, as it changes the battles from strictly a numbers game to something with a little bit of chance or luck, which is often seen on the battlefield).

As a great general once said, "Once the first shot is fired in WAR, the plan goes out the window..." This is an exaggeration of course, but it stresses the simple concept of adaptation and thinking, (i.e. every good idea is eventually the wrong idea, so innovate and adapt.)
    Since I like Sun Tzu and Machiavelli, I think the majority of plans still hold out the majority of the time, but chance always taunts you when you least expect it.
    Last edited by Machiavelli; 07-09-2012 at 10:40 AM.

Here is a dirty little secret I shouldn't tell you, but what the hell...

At one point I had several hundred allies. Gifts POURED in daily. Many allies were there because when they couldn't beat me, they sent ally requests to keep me from hitting them, (and I accepted them). But eventually I figured something out, I'd eliminated many of my game opponents not through battle, but through friendship.

So I eliminated all but 50 of my allies and created a whole new range of opponents. This meant that now I could fight many players instead of just a few, (and I hate to beat the same people over and over again, every few hours as I think it makes the game suck for them.) This also meant that I could test myself against many other players and garner many more honor points and sanction targets.

Yes, I still accept ally requests, but not as often as I used to do. I don't need the gifts, (most gift units are way below what I can purchase), and I have plenty of energy and mission boost items. Now, if I accept you as an ally, it's because I'm either in your clan or what matters more, I respect that player's ability or attitude in the game, (humor plays a big role in that too.)

So don't keep allies if you don't need them. You're just selling yourself short on targets. Good gamers respect competition, even from former allies. Good competition makes the game fun, and come on folks, it's a WAR game. We're supposed to fight hourly, daily, and weekly. Gifts should not be your main goal unless you're a new player seeking to flesh out an army or a weak player who sucks.

Machiavelli

(From FIREFLY)
    Mal: "You know, they say mercy is the mark of a great man."
    [stabs the man]
    Mal: "Guess I'm just a good man."
    [stabs him again]
    Mal: "Well,... I'm all right."

p.s. And this is my dirty little secret. I may be mistaken in this, but I kept receiving gifts from un-allied players after I'd removed them as allies also... that's the really funny part. You see, as long as they keep re-sending gifts, and you return them, the chain of gifting keeps going... took me months for my gift box to dwindle down to manageable levels. Once an ally, always a gift source.
    Last edited by Machiavelli; 07-09-2012 at 08:06 PM.

Gifts...
    If you are just starting out, allies are ESSENTIAL. They can mean the difference between victory and being a lame arsed loser with lots of tallies in the "Battles Lost" column.

Why are they essential? Gifts.
    If you gift players that are higher in level than you, they send you good items. Oft times these items are better than anything you can purchase and/or afford.
    So, when they send you something good, RETURN THAT GIFT. Most players that are higher, when they receive a gift, will gift it back again. Which of course means you get another one! And another, and another, etc., etc....
    Fairly soon, you're level 30 and have a wicked army of Swedish Amphibious Forces, Global Hawks, Arjun MBT's, German MG-42's, Soviet Submarines, US Liners, and V22 Reapers and can stomp your opponents with ease.
    These gifts help to fill in the gaps in your military that you have when battling, (look at the battle screen to see how many of each of the four types of units and their quantities you can field in battle), because you can't afford to purchase them yet. Heck, quite often not only can't you afford to purchase them, but they are also way better than anything you CAN purchase.
    So gift away if you can. Find allies. But remember, you can't battle allies either, (but if you're new, who cares, you'd lose anyways).

p.s. watch out on having too many Swedish Amphibious Units or you end up with a barracks like this... (always loved Statler and Waldorf's comments)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XpKJWLHsAk
    Last edited by Machiavelli; 07-09-2012 at 11:29 AM.

(A reply to a question about how to play the game...)
    First off, what level are you?

Second, what is it you want to accomplish?

I leveled quite a bit at first, but then started losing some battles. The reason was easy. I couldn't afford good units and I couldn't afford a good base.

So what I did was stop doing missions and battled only or not at all. This slowed me down dramatically, BUT, it gave me time to collect base income and upgrade to the base structure that suited my needs best, (good income with good timing for my schedule).

When my base was where I wanted it, THEN I started spending the good income on units. Good units, (the best each tier has within my level range and lower for EACH level range), so that I could fight people my level or lower. Remember, when attacking someone lower than you, if they are in a lower tier of missions, you must use the units that are ONLY available for your opponent's tier and gifted/specialty items.

I also made a point to have lots of allies and exchange gifts daily. Be certain to load up on good infantry attack and defense items, (naval caps, machine guns, etc.), along with the armor and planes, (they don't give good naval gifts, except for the Soviet Submarine from higher level players).

I built up one type of my military at a time, (Armored first because it contains the most units, then either navy or airforce, THEN infantry.) I saved the infantry for last because you must also buy the accessories, (and get the best deal for your buck there, it makes a HUGE difference.)

Once I had what I wanted, I killed everything around me since I had a great income that I could bank and a great army that clobbered most other players.

I only use the gold you get with the daily bonus for skill points, (Att/Def/Supplies), and nothing else. No specialty units. You get three gold a day if you log on daily, that means every five days you have enough to get five skill points to utilize. If you level slowly, IT ADDS UP and makes ya tough.

Now, there is a bad point to this. People that I started with are way past me in levels, (I'm currently around level 165), as in 100 to 300 levels past me. But this doesn't bother me. I remembered in W@W that I loved playing the lower levels more, simply because you had so many other opponents to fight. The higher in level you get, the fewer opponents you have.

But level quickly, level slowly, it's up to you. But I can tell you that if you level quickly, have no army and income, you'll get chewed up and spit out on the way up.

Few have beaten me that are in my level range, (Mona and Blue Archer are good examples of REALLY good/strong players who thought things out well), because of my strategy. Most who do beat me, (I don't put as much emphasis on defense as offense in stat points), get return fire with a vengeance if they've been obnoxious.

The main thing, do what makes the game fun for you.
    Last edited by Machiavelli; 07-09-2012 at 08:07 PM.

If you wish to post your thoughts, (and by "thoughts", I mean HELPFUL advice for newer players), please feel free to add. I make no assumptions that I know everything about the game. I'm not even level 200. I don't level quickly, I don't practice all the different strategies this game has to offer. But most importantly, there are many experienced and GOOD game players out there.

Your advice and thoughts would be more than welcome here.

Machiavelli

p.s. you can call me "Mac" for short.

Uhhh, It's all,like, words, and numbers...

a very interesting thread, going to take a bit of time to digest iit all, thanks